Film Details Edit
- Release Date: January 3, 2015
- Running Time: 2 min.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Director: Andrew Bermudez
- Producer: Andrew Bermudez
- Writer: Teresa Bermudez
Plot Summary Edit
WARNING: This section contains spoilers. If you do not want to find out what happens, skip to the next section.
The film starts with a man, Phil Byrd, walking along in the marina when he sees a Mob Boss overseeing the execution of one of his enemies. The Mob Boss' men throw the man into the water, leaving Phil in shock. As the mob glances over to see who was watching them, Phil runs off.
6 months later, Phil is walking down the street when a limo pulls up with the Mob Boss inside. He tries to propose an offer to keep Phil silent, but Phil has other plans. He shoots the Mob Boss, takes over his position as the proprietor of the Phoenix Casino, and renames himself Gangster Folio Byrd, the Kingfisher.
Production History Edit
In December 2014, it was announced on Bricksinmotion.com that the next THAC contest would be held on January 2, 2015, a contest that Andrew Bermudez wanted to enter. While the last time that Mustache Maniacs Film Co. had entered was for THAC 8 in 2010, it was already confirmed that this one was going to be done differently, mainly because it was going to be part of Project U.
That day, the morning was started off by analyzing the mod elements (black brick connected to a blue brick and the letter N) and theme (a fresh start) and building the story around that. According to production documents, some of the ideas proposed included an alien moving to Earth, a man moving from the suburbs to the country, and a heart-broken man joining the army. One idea that was repeatedly shot down was a bear moving out of its cave and building a log cabin. Because of this, most studio conversations end with "and someday, that bear is going to build his cabin."
When the idea that eventually became The Kingfisher was settled upon, the story was going to feature generic characters, but Andrew Bermudez, pulling up the character of Gangster Folio from Legends of the Universe, decided to turn the narrative into an origin story. Filming sailed along briskly, ending production far sooner in the day than anticipated.
The film was released the next day, January 3, 2015. Initially, it didn't get much attention, but as the days went on, it garnered more views.
Audience Reception Edit
While this film did not get into the THAC 12 top ten results, the film itself became the subject of astoundingly positive reviews. Despite its flaws, many people came to cherish the film, causing a surge of popularity for the main character, Phil "Folio" Byrd.
- Gangster Folio Byrd (Al Bermudez)
- Mob Boss (Wes Rudnick)
- Captain Bill Stewart (Andrew Bermudez)
- Chase McCain (n/a)
- Hit Man #1 (n/a)
- Hit Man #2 (n/a)
- Andrew Bermudez - Director; Animator; Set Design; Art Director; Producer; Editor; Sound Design; Voice Actor
- Teresa Bermudez - Writer; Assistant Director; Adviser
- Al Bermudez - Voice Actor
- Wes Rudnick - Voice Actor
- The main character, Phil Byrd, was originally created for Legends of the Universe.
- The reason that Wes Rudnick was cast as the Mob Boss is because he was visiting that day, and there was no one else to play the role.
- The scene with Captain Bill helping Phil sign the paperwork was added because it was discovered that there wasn't enough animation in the film to meet the contest guidelines.
- This film's visuals are inspired by the classic drama The Godfather.